Celebrate West Greenwich!
4th Annual "Celebrate West Greenwich"
Photos by Mike Parker
Thanks to all who attended our Fourth Annual 2011 Celebrate West Greenwich event held on Sunday September 25, 2011 at
Plain Meeting House. The ever popular environmental and educational family events offering the "Best of West Greenwich" were enjoyed by all.
Our thanks and gratitude to the many folks in town who contributed their time and resources to plan, contribute and work at
this event but especially to:
- Ken and Barbara Andrews and their entire family who once again provided the fabulous barbecue chicken dinner that
was enjoyed by all.
- Kathy Swann and Kevin Breene for the release of the new "West Greenwich" history book and sharing their history of
West Greenwich with all in attendance.
- Tim Mooney for guiding participants on a fantastic interpretive walk at Tillinghast Pond.
- Tami Hamlin who installed and maintained the ornamental bed in front of the Plain Meeting House with mums for the
- Dan Novak, Conservation Commission, Rick Parkinson
, Hianloland Fire Co., Peter Petracca, West Greenwich Police Department, and Alex Smith for judging the Pie Contest.
- Our special thanks to Emma Walsh and Toshi Sakaguchi for providing the watercolor painting activity.
- To all of the vendors, environmental groups, West Greenwich Police Department and the Hianloland Volunteer Fire Department.
- The Trustees of the West Greenwich Land Trust for all they do to make this day so successful.
Congratulations to all who participated in our special events and those who were awarded prizes for the Pie Contest, the Photo
Contest, and the Tillinghast Pond Bobber Contest.
Pie Contest Winners are:
- Apple Pie
1st Place - Nitasha Madan
2nd Place - Tami Hamlin
- Pumpkin Pie
1st Place - Patricia Wright
2nd Place - Shawna Amitrano
Photo Contest Winners are:
- Tami Hamlin (1st)
- Paulinka deRochemont (2nd)
- Sara Smolenski (3rd)
First Place: Tami Hamlin
"Kayaking Big River"
Second Place: Paulinka deRochemont
"Golden Tillinghast Pond"
Third Place: Sara Smolenski
"Paper Wasp Nest"
Hope to see you next year!
- 12:00: Vendor Exhibits Open
- 1:00 - 5:00: Horse Drawn Wagon Rides Provided By Edgewood Farm
Enjoy a relaxing horse drawn wagon ride on country roads in the area from the various parking sites to the event site.
- 1:00: Book Release: West Greenwich History by Kathy Swann and Kevin Breene
Enjoy an hour long digital power point presentation of the new History of West Greenwich Book with discussion by the Authors. Books will be available for sale.
- 2:00: Burt The Raccoon
This children's presentation uses puppetry, American Sign Language, storytelling and mime to help explain the typical
forest food chain, as well as many interesting facts about raccoons and how they live in the forest.
- 2:00: Watercolor Art Class
Join local RISD Students in learning the basics of watercolor painting of the West Greenwich landscape.
- 2:00 - 2:30: Nature Walk on Tillinghast Pond
With Tim Mooney of the Nature Conservancy. Take the Horse Drawn Wagon Ride and meet at the Pond Parking Lot at 1:45
PM. Return trips back to Plain Meeting House will be available.
- 3:00: B'Wana Iguana Adventure
An exciting interactive program that both entertains and educates people of all ages about the mysterious world of reptiles
- 3:30: Home Town Barbecue Chicken Dinner
Prepared and served by the Andrews Family of West Greenwich. $9.00 per person.
Advance reservations are required. To assist us in providing the numbers of dinners required, please make advanced reservations prior to September 18, 2011.
RESERVE ONLINE or call 392-3628.
- 4:30: Best Apple or Pumpkin Pie Contest
One $50 1st Place Gift Certificate and One $25 2nd Place Certificate for each category (Apple & Pumpkin) will be
presented during award presentations.
SEE CONTEST RULES
- 2:00 - 5:00: Music
"Not Them Again" back by popular demand.
- 4:30: Award Presentations
Digital Photography, Pie Contest and Tillinghast Bobber Hunt.
- Farmers Market
Local produce, meat and other favorites.
- West Greenwich Police Department
Learn how your local Police Department helps to provide a safe and enjoyable community with Ident-a-Kid fingerprinting
- Kids Bounce House and more
- Hianloland Fire Company
Equipment demonstrations and volunteer information.
- West Greenwich Conservation Commission
Providing local conservation efforts along with display and presentations.
- West Greenwich Cub Scouts Pack 7
- 4-H Demonstrations
- Adopt– A-Cemetery Program Information
- Exhibits by local vendors
- FFA Pumpkin Sale
- Digital Photo Contest
The West Greenwich Land Trust is looking for digital photos of natural, scenic and historic areas throughout West
Greenwich to be used in the Land Trust's web site, publications, newsletters, etc. The top three photos chosen for "The
Best of West Greenwich" will be awarded 1st $75.00, 2nd $50.00 and 3rd $25.00 gift certificates to R.E.I. All photos
entered will become the property of the West Greenwich Land Trust and each participant will receive credit when his or
her photo is published. Digital photo awards will be showcased and honored at Plain Meeting House at 4:30 PM on Sunday September 25, 2011. Three  photo entry limit per person.
CLICK HERE to submit your digital photo. Send one photo at a time as an attachment and include title/description. Each
photo must be no larger than 2MB, 300dpi. Three  photo entry limit per person. Deadline for submitting photos is
Monday, September 12, 2011.Deadline extended to Friday, September 16, 2011.
- Tillinghast Pond Bobber Hunt
Twenty-five  orange and white fishing bobbers will be dispersed on Tillinghast Pond by
Saturday, September 5th, located on Plain Road approximately 1/2 mile from the intersection of Plain Meeting House Road and Plain Road. The
bobbers are numbered and labeled WG Land Trust. Please remove one bobber per family and bring to the Sunday,
September 25th event at Plain Meeting House at 4:30 PM for the drawing of two bobber numbers to win a $25.00 Gift Certificate each. Enjoy the trip and the views!
- "West Greenwich"
At the this year's "Celebrate West Greenwich" event, all participants will enjoy an opportunity to
purchase the 1st edition of West Greenwich, a pictorial history of West Greenwich published by Arcadia Books and authored by Kathy Swann and Kevin Breene. Portions of all proceeds for every book sold at
this event will go to the West Greenwich Land Trust to help us continue to reach our goals in our community.